Friday, March 4, 2011

Today's Moment of Zen (Ride a Bike!)


This photo has been viral for a few days. I've seen it in chain mail and in social media. While it may be a joke, there is something to be said about how unbelievably high gas prices are becoming.



This is a great time to push the cycling agenda. As Jason Gay writes in today’s Wall Street Journal article "The City's Misunderstood Cyclists”, cyclists come in all forms. This is what makes the sport unique. It provides each person the opportunity to play in their comfort zone (I’m in the “MAKE ME SUFFER” zone), which makes it accessible to people of all ages, shapes, sizes and abilities. AKA, no one has an excuse.
Cycling is more popular than many realize. Statistics report that there are an estimated 90 million cyclists in US with approx 72,000 holding a race license with USA Cycling, the official governing body for all disciplines of competitive cycling in the US. When you put this in context, cycling is only second to walking as a fitness activity.
But in terms of it being an alternate form of transportation, we are still at a whisper.
I am not going to sit here and say I commute by bike. For the sake of disclosure, I am unemployed right now and not really “commuting” at all. However even when I was working it was not entirely feasible for me to commute to work because of my location in respect to my job. Plus my former company isn't bike-friendly. I have great admiration for those who do commute by bike and therefore take advantage of whatever bike-friendly amenities their city and employer have to offer. Hopefully my next employer will support a more bike-friendly culture.
So the next time you’re in a gas station and slapped with a “fill it up” charge comparable to a mortgage payment, accept my challenge to spend more time on two wheels whenever possible. It does a body - and your wallet - good.
“The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.” - Iris Murdoch

2 comments:

  1. I biked to the orthodontist today, gas is way to expensive and the orthodontist is only 5.55 miles away...no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Maryanne- great post!!! When the weather's good, I'mm on my bike. I outfitted my cyclocross bike to commute and run errands with locally, and I have my road bike set up to commute to school- 40 miles one way to New Brunswick from Montclair, and then I put the bike and myself on NJ Transit train to come home after classes. It is super cool to put your bike on the train! There is a ledge to hook your bars to, and a fold down seat right there. The conductors have been very nice to me also. You just have to make sure you aren't getting on during peak periods.

    What people don't think about is the true cost to drive your car; it is as high as 0.65/mile when you factor in monthly payments, insurance, maintenance, registration, tolls and gas. At 80 miles/day round trip for me, that is $52 a day!!! The train is $20 round trip/$10 one way, plus I get my ride in.

    ReplyDelete