Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pedaling for the Greater Good.....Sometimes You Just Have To Ask

I’m not a natural talent or a born athlete.  I basically work hard to attain most of the small successes I’ve enjoyed. That goes for cycling too. It took a long time but I can finally say I fall in the category of being “strong” for my class.

Every once in a while I will use my cycling endurance to ride for a cause I believe in. I generally self-support these rides because I don’t particularly enjoy asking for help.  In some cases I will. http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=7556&px=1171058

On Sunday, June 5, I will ride 75 miles in the American Diabetes Tour de Cure. I’ve been doing this event since 2003 and this year I made the last minute decision to raise money for the cause; primarily because this is the only event I will do for diabetes in 2011.


I ride for my 12 year old niece Samantha, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 3, and for everyone else affected by this disease. It’s 24/7/365 and has essentially defined her life for the past 9 years. Nonetheless, Sam manages her condition with patience, courage, determination and resilience.  She is an inspiration for what can be accomplished in the face of adversity.  75 miles is the least I can do in an effort to bring us closer to a cure and improved treatment options.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that destroys the pancreas’ ability to produce insulin, which is required to metabolize glucose throughout the body.  As a result, someone with type 1 is dependent upon an external source of insulin for the rest of their life.  Insulin is not a cure, nor is it a perfect science; but rather life support.  And even though someone with diabetes looks “normal” on the outside, there is an unpredictable monster wrecking havoc behind the scenes which can cause blindness, kidney disease, amputations, and many other severe and irreversible complications that in the long term cannot be prevented by insulin.  Type 1 affects about 3 million people in the US; most of whom are children. 

If you would like to help with a donation, please visit my link at http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=7556&px=1171058 or send me an email at maryanne.caruso@gmail.com.
THANKS!!!  And as always THANKS for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment